This edible craft is two gifts in one — a magical snowglobe that transforms into a cozy, creamy, peppermint-y cup of hot cocoa. Wait, it’s actually three gifts if you count the mason jar that can be used to make another adorable craft. One of our editors saw this and exclaimed, “I want to go home and crank out a million of these with my little brother so he can give them to all of his teachers and friends!” That’s exactly the reaction we were going for and exactly the one you’ll get when you present this Christmas gift.
Here’s everything you’ll need for the craft:
DIY the peppermint trees:
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Coat insides of metal Christmas tree cookie cutters with nonstick cooking spray and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Arrange green peppermint candies (breaking them as necessary) inside cutters; there should be space between candies.
- Bake until candies melt, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then gently pop out.
Assemble the mason jar hot chocolate:
- Spoon in 1/4 cup cocoa, then top with 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar.
- Place a Peeps Snowman and a peppermint tree in each jar.
- Decorate each jar with ribbon and a label with these instructions: “Remove tree and Peeps Snowman. Pour in 1 cup very hot milk and 1 Tbsp mini chocolate chips. stir or cover and shake to combine. Serve with peppermint tree and Peeps Snowman.”