Whether you're worried about the last-minute essentials you forgot to buy for Thanksgiving dinner (it happens) or you're mapping out the family tradition of shopping early Black Friday sales, you need this list of what stores will be open on Thanksgiving, which happens on November 28 this year.
If you're planning on the latter, make sure you read up on everything we know about Black Friday 2019 so far — you'll also find some pretty excellent deals on toys, electronics, and more from stores like Walmart and Target. As always, you might want to play it safe by calling your local store first to make sure they're open — especially if you're looking for a pharmacy, because their hours are usually different.
The following retailers aren't the only ones keeping their doors open on Thanksgiving — select grocery stores, restaurants, and fast food places will also be open, too. Keep in mind that hours and locations are subject to change as we get closer and closer to the holiday, but this is what we know for now.
Don't forget to check out GoodHousekeeping.com's Thanksgiving 2019 guide.
Stores Open on Thanksgiving
- ACME: Typically open on Thanksgiving, but hours may very depending on location.
- Best Buy: Last Thanksgiving Day, select stores opened at 5 p.m. and stayed open through Black Friday.
- Big Lots: Last year, select locations were open 7 a.m. to midnight.
- Dollar General: Stores will be open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Even though its prices are already crazy low, the discount chain still offers Black Friday deals.
- Five Below: The store should open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving and stay open until 1 a.m. the following day.
- JCPenney: Stores will open as early as 2 p.m. on Thanksgiving and will stay open until 10 p.m. on Black Friday.
- Kohl's: Most stores will open at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving this year, so you can start shopping after dinner.
- Lilly Pulitzer: Select Lilly Pulitzer store locations will be open on Thanksgiving Day. Contact your local store for holiday hours.
- Macy's: Stores will open at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving and stay open through Saturday. It will not close at all on Friday.
- Michaels: For any last-minute Thanksgiving crafting needs for the kids, Michaels historically opens at 6 p.m.
- Old Navy: Most of the clothing stores will open at 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving and stay open through Black Friday.
- Target: In the past, locations have opened at 5 p.m. on the holiday.
- Ulta: The beauty store usually opens at 6 p.m. on the holiday.
- Victoria's Secret: Most stores should be open at 5 p.m.
- Walgreens: Stores are usually open on all holidays, but specific hours vary depending on the location. Most 24-hour stores should still remain open all day.
- Walmart: Walmart usually opens their doors at 6 p.m.
- Whole Foods Market: All stores will be open this year, but customers are advised to check the website for specific hours closer to the actual date.
Stores Closed on Thanksgiving
- A.C. Moore
- Ashley Furniture
- Barnes & Noble
- Bath & Body Works
- Burlington Coat Factory
- Calvin Klein
- Century 21
- Crate and Barrel
- Forever 21
- Home Depot
- Sur La Table
- TJ Maxx
- Trader Joe's
- White House Black Market
For can't-miss news, expert beauty advice, genius home solutions, delicious recipes, and lots more, sign up for the Good Housekeeping newsletter.