So you’re planning to ring in the New Year with a night out on the town, a few (or more) champagne toasts, and maybe some snuggle time on the couch watching your favorite New Year’s movies. But when it’s time for 2020 to begin, you’ll have to stock up on the essentials to help you start the new year with a bang — whether that’s groceries for new healthy recipes, a digital scale to keep track of your gym efforts, or a new sleep mask for some quality beauty sleep to ensure that the year is as fruitful as possible.
Whatever the case, we all know that shopping is the key to accomplishing your New Year’s resolutions — unless your resolution is to cut back on the shopping, of course. Start the new decade with a fuller fridge and closet by heading to one of these stores that stay open on January 1. Or take advantage of your day off by returning or exchanging any Christmas gifts. And hey, these places might even have some sales to celebrate the year (and new decade!) ahead.
Luckily, if you’re wondering what is open on New Year’s, we’ve rounded up a list of stores that will be open for you to shop to your heart’s content. If you have a specific store in mind, confirm your store’s hours by calling before braving the winter cold, as hours often vary by location. But remember: New Year’s Day is considered a federal holiday so banks, post offices, and other federal buildings will be closed.
Grocery and Convenience Stores Open on New Year’s:
- 7-Eleven: Good news — you can pick up your favorite convenience store snacks to start off the New Year, because 7-Eleven stores will be open normal hours, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Some locations are open 24 hours.
- CVS: You’ll be able to drop by this drugstore on January 1, but hours may vary by location. Call ahead to your local CVS store, especially for pharmacy hours.
- Kroger: Kroger stores will be open on New Year’s Day for normal hours, but be sure to give your local store a call to confirm their hours as they vary by location — many stores are open 24 hours, while others are open from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.
- Publix: This supermarket chain will be open on New Year’s Day for regular hours, which are typically 7 a.m. to anywhere between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. Hours vary by location.
- Rite Aid: The drugstore chain will be open for normal hours, which vary by location. Some locations are open 24 hours.
- Safeway: Last year, some Safeway stores were open for normal hours — 6 a.m. until 12 a.m. — with hours varying by location. We’d recommend checking in on your local store’s holiday hours this year, as some might close early.
- Target: Target will be open for normal hours — from 8 a.m. until 12 a.m. — so you can definitely hit up the Target Dollar Spot on New Year’s Day.
- Walgreens: Walgreens will be open on New Year’s Day, but hours may vary by location, so we’d recommend calling ahead to your local store — especially for pharmacy hours.
- Walmart: Walmart stores will be open for New Year’s Day, but may have limited hours, so be sure to check with your local Walmart for opening and closing times.
- Whole Foods: Though we don’t have information on Whole Foods’ hours for 2020 yet, they are typically open for New Year’s Day — though they might have limited hours. Last year, they opened from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m.
Other Stores Open on New Year’s:
- Barnes & Noble: If you want to get a head start on your New Year’s reading list, this popular bookstore chain will be open for the first day of the year. Hours vary by location.
- Bed, Bath, & Beyond: Bed, Bath, & Beyond will be open on New Year’s Day, but some stores may close earlier than their usual hours — so be sure to call ahead.
- Dick’s: This popular sporting goods store will have their doors open for New Year’s Day. Hours vary by location, though, so be sure to check the holiday hours of your local store.
- Hobby Lobby: For all of your holiday crafts needs, Hobby Lobby stores will be open from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Hours may vary.
- Home Depot: If you need some supplies to fix up your home for the New Year, you can stop by Home Depot on the holiday, which will be open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- IKEA: Fans of this furniture store (and of Swedish meatballs) can rejoice — IKEA stores will be open for regular hours on the first of January. Hours vary by location.
- Kohl’s: Kohl’s will be open on New Year’s Day. Last year, stores were open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., with hours varying by location.
- Macy’s: Most Macy’s stores will be open for normal hours, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. — though open and close times will vary by location.
- Marshall’s: For all your bargain needs for the holiday, Marshall’s will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- TJ Maxx: Good news for Maxxinistas — like its sister store Marshall’s, TJ Maxx stores will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- PetSmart: The pet store will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., so that your four-legged friend can get in on the New Year’s Day fun, too.
Stores and Other Places Closed on New Year’s:
- Banks (However, self-service ATMs are open.)
- Government buildings
- Sam’s Club
- Trader Joe’s
- United States Postal Service
For can’t-miss news, expert beauty advice, genius home solutions, delicious recipes, and lots more, sign up for the Good Housekeeping newsletter.