Karma is the law of moral causation. The theory of Karma is a fundamental doctrine in Buddhism. This belief was prevalent in India before the advent of the Buddha. Nevertheless, it was the Buddha who explained and formulated this doctrine in the complete form in which we have it today.
What is Karma?
The Pali term Karma literally means action or doing. Any kind of intentional action whether mental, verbal, or physical, is regarded as Karma. It covers all that is included in the phrase “thought, word and deed”. Generally speaking, all good and bad action constitutes Karma. In its ultimate sense Karma means all moral and immoral volition. Involuntary, unintentional or unconscious actions, though technically deeds, do not constitute Karma, because volition, the most important factor in determining Karma, is absent.
“I declare, O Bhikkhus, that volition is Karma. Having willed one acts by body, speech, and thought.” (Anguttara Nikaya)
Every volitional action of individuals, save those of Buddhas and Arahants, is called Karma. The exception made in their case is because they are delivered from both good and evil; they have eradicated ignorance and craving, the roots of Karma.
“Destroyed are their germinal seeds (Khina bija); selfish desires no longer grow,” states the Ratana Sutta of Sutta nipata.
This does not mean that the Buddha and Arahantas are passive. They are tirelessly active in working for the real well being and happiness of all. Their deeds ordinarily accepted as good or moral, lack creative power as regards themselves. Understanding things as they truly are, they have finally shattered their cosmic fetters – the chain of cause and effect.
Karma does not necessarily mean past actions. It embraces both past and present deeds. Hence in one sense, we are the result of what we were; we will be the result of what we are. In another sense, it should be added, we are not totally the result of what we were; we will not absolutely be the result of what we are. The present is no doubt the offspring of the past and is the present of the future, but the present is not always a true index of either the past or the future; so complex is the working of Karma.
It is this doctrine of Karma that the mother teaches her child when she says “Be good and you will be happy and we will love you; but if you are bad, you will be unhappy and we will not love you.” In short, Karma is the law of cause and effect in the ethical realm.
- How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
– Wayne Dyer
- Karma is only in space-time and causality. Your real self resides non-locally.
– Deepak Chopra
- Nothing happens by chance, by fate. You create your own fate by your actions. That’s karma.
- God has no resolve; no karma attaches itself to Him.
– Ramana Maharshi
- Karma is karma. Karma is in life. You do the wrong things, you get the wrong things out of it.
– Antonio Brown
- You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
– Steve Jobs
- Don’t give up. Your miracles are on the way.
- A man is born alone and dies alone; and he experiences the good and bad consequences of his karma alone; and he goes alone to hell or the Supreme abode.
- How people treat you is their karma. How you react is your karma.
- If there’s no happy ending, accept it, it’s not always worth fighting for it. That’s karma.”
- Karma, when properly understood, is just the mechanics through which consciousness manifests.
– Deepak Chopra
- Karma, memory, and desire are just the software of the soul. It’s conditioning that the soul undergoes in order to create experience. And it’s a cycle. In most people, the cycle is a conditioned response. They do the same things over and over again.
– Deepak Chopra
Do something good today and in the future you will get repaid with something good too. Do something good. Get something good.”
Leave behind the passive dreaming of a rose-tinted future. The energy of happiness exists in living today with roots sunk firmly in reality’s soil.”
I must have killed a lot of cows in a past life for Karma to hate me this much.”
Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity.”– Edwin Hubbel Chapin
Your believing or not believing in karma has no effect on its existence, nor on its consequences to you. Just as a refusal to believe in the ocean would not prevent you from drowning.
When you do something bad: it comes back to you later.
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.–Anne Frank
Dear Karma, I really hate you right now, you made your point.”
If a householder moulds himself according to the circumstances just like nature moulds Herself according to seasons and performs his Karma then only shall he acquire happiness.– Rig Veda
Short Karma Quotes
“Let the players play, let the haters hate, and let karma handle their fate.”
“Strong people don’t put others down. They lift them up.”
“No. We don’t always get what we want. But consider this: There are people who will never have what you have right now.”
“Surround yourself with positive people.”
“Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
“Karma said: you will fall in love with someone who doesn’t love you, for not loving someone who did.”
Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.– Elbert Hubbard
Nothing happens by chance, by fate. You create your own fate by your actions. That’s Karma.
Even chance meetings are the result of karma… Things in life are fated by our previous lives. That even in the smallest events there’s no such thing as coincidence.
It is impossible to build one’s own happiness on the unhappiness of others. This perspective is at the heart of Buddhist teachings.
Is Fate getting what you deserve, or deserving what you get?
Whatever we do lays a seed in our deepest consciousness, and one day that seed will grow.– Sakyong Mipham
Even if things don’t unfold the way you expected, don’t be disheartened or give up. One who continues to advance will win in the end.
Life is painful. It has thorns, like the stem of a rose. Culture and art are the roses that bloom on the stem. The flower is yourself, your humanity. Art is the liberation of the humanity inside yourself.
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny.– Tryon Edwards
When you see a good person, think of becoming like her/him. When you see someone not so good, reflect on your own weak points.
Buddha’s Quotes on Karma
- “When you wish good for others, good things come back to you. This is the law of nature.” – Buddha
- “It doesn’t matter what kind of karma you gathered in the past. This moment’s karma is always in your hands.” – Buddha
- “No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.” – Buddha
- “Never wish them pain. That’s not who you are. If they caused you pain, they must have pain inside. Wish them healing. That’s what they need.” – Buddha
- “Always be thankful for what you have, many people have nothing.” – Buddha
- “Life is a circle of happiness, sadness, hard times, and good times. If you are going through a hard time, know that good times are on the way.” – Buddha
- “Instead of “have a nice day” I think I’ll start saying “have the day you deserve”. You know, let karma sort things out.” – Buddha
- “The mind is like water. When it’s turbulent, it’s difficult to see. When it’s calm, everything becpmes clear.” – Buddha
- “Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.” – Buddha
- “What hurts you today, makes you stronger tomorrow.” – Buddha
- “You yourself as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
- “There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.” – Buddha
- “Silence and smile are two powerful words. Smile is the way to solve many problems and silence is the way to avoid many problems.” – Buddha
- “Happiness is a choice, not a result. Nothing will make you happy until you choose to be happy. No person will make you happy unless you decide to be happy. Your happiness will not come to you. It can only come from you.” – Buddha
- “Life is not about being rich, being popular, being highly educated or being perfect. It is about being real, being humble, and being kind.” – Buddha
Final Thoughts on Karma quotes
If you do good, good karma will come back to you with all the good fortune. If you do evil and hurt anyone bad karma will hit you hard and make your life tough and painful. Either good or bad karma will always come back at any cost. Did you like our amazing collection of karma quotes? If yes, do let us know in the comment section provided below.
- Sardar Patel Quotes That Show The Vision Of India’s Iron Man
- Meditation Quotes and Sayings That Will Give You Peace Of Mind
- Happy Deepavali Wishes, Greetings, Messages, Status Send To Your Loved Ones
- Anne Marie: Quotes & Sayings, Age, Birthday, Net Worth, Husband, Boyfriend, Bio
- Happy Friday Quotes to Celebrate The Weekend